These are certainly unchartered and quite frankly, terrifying waters, friends. Like many of you, I have kept myself up at night – plagued with the ‘what if?’, ‘what’s next?’ and ‘what more can I do?’
With millions shifting to work from home, while juggling school closures, family concerns and in the very least, upended routines – I have found myself wondering if there was something I could do, anything really, to ease that transition even slightly. Successfully running a business with a virtual team is challenging at the best of times, but add in the almost Shakespearean state of our world? It can feel damn near impossible.
But it doesn’t have to be that way if given the right guidance.
LaBine Media, by design, is a virtual agency and has been for many years. Our team has always prioritized creating the ideal work environment – scaling careers, companies, and LaBine Media…remotely. We work closely together and throughout the years, have finely honed in on exactly what it takes for optimal “work from home” success!
So here I am, crossing off one of my ‘What more can I do?’ moments, in sharing a few suggestions for all as we transition into the virtual workplace. I hope they help, even slightly, to ease this bumpy phase.
5 Skill Sets to Polish Up On
- Great Communicator – Proactive engagement to demonstrate you have your head in the game.
- Ability to Focus – Appropriate workspace to avoid distractions.
- Accountability & Transparency – Professionalism in owning your wins and losses.
- Time Management – set time schedules and stick to them.
- Resourceful – Self-starter, motivator, problem solver.
5 Recommendations for Your Best (WFH) Work Day
- Ensure your workspace environment is quite and conducive to business productivity.
- Personal appearance and workspace must be appropriate for audio/video meetings.
- Professional headshot for visual identification on apps and platforms.
- Install and maintain the following technology;
– Technology devices— laptop, cell phone, monitor(s), webcam, and proper lighting is a must.
– Software platforms— Microsoft Office 360, G-Suite, Adobe
– Highspeed connectivity and browser— Google Chrome
– Video conferencing applications— Google Hangout, Zoom, Skype
– Secure file sharing application— Citrix ShareFile
– Time tracking software— Toggl, TSheet, or Harvest
– Proper access to your password protected business platforms
- Leverage learning tools, tutorials, and webinars if you’re needing assistance first, before asking your boss or manager for assistance.
So let’s embrace these changes during this transitional time and most importantly, remember that with the right team, we can tackle anything.
Stay home, Stay safe, and stay healthy.